Do you fall into the #Malnutrition Traps?

Just recently, Enzo got sick and so I brought him to the pedia. Upon checking, he just caught up a viral infection called Scarlet Fever. The doctor said there was nothing to worry about it cause it is easy to cure. However, upon checking his weight, he was underweight for his age.

I had a feeling that he was really not getting the right nutrition with the food that we eat. I don’t cook a lot so we always buy food for lunch and dinner. He goes to school early so sometimes we miss having breakfast and just wait for his recess in school. Also, he loves biscuits,and cookies for snacks. He eats heavy meal whenever he loves the viand but sometimes it gets difficult for him to finish all his food. I also don’t offer much of a variety and sometimes even forget to offer fruits as snacks.

All these were validated by the pedia as she prescribed multivitamins and milk to help him gain weight. I realized that to help him gain weight, vitamins and milk aren’t the only solution. Such a great timing for me to come across, Ajinomoto’s article on “Falling into #Malnutrition Traps”.

What is #MALNUTRITION TRAPS?

In the Philippines, a number of Filipino families and children experience the phenomenon called Double burden of Malnutrition. This happens when both undernutrition and overweight is prevalent in the same country, nation, or region.

With this the government launched the Pinggang Pinoy campaign in 2014 which aims to provide easy-to-understand food guide showing proper food group portioning on a per meal basis. It reflects the principles of MOderation, VAriety, and BAlance (MOVABA).

However, solving the double burden of malnutrition should be a collaborative effort between the government and private sectors. Which is why Ajinomoto Philippines Corporation partnered with the government to conduct series of education programs. These programs aims to raise awareness and promote the practice of Pinggang Pinoy in malnutrition hotspots, where incidences of Malnutrition are high. This training was given to homemakers/mothers who have malnourished (underweight, stunting, wasting, overweight and obese) school-aged children.

The program has resulted to improvements and attitudes of households related to the practice of Pinggang Pinoy within target areas. However, behavior changes towards healthier eating habits remains to be a challenge.

KINDS OF MALNUTRITION TRAPS

One of the good results of the program is uncovering some #Malnutrition traps that most Filipinos fall into. These traps are shown in the documentary below:

1. Overconsumption of carbohydrates: Rice eaters can easily fill half of their plates with rice. Others have bread and noodles as regular meal deprived of other nutrients derived from a well-balance meal.

2. Underconsumption of vegetables and fruits: It is common for some to be content with rice and meat to satisfy their hunger and skip/take insufficient amount of vegetables/fruits. Fact is, the variety of colors in the GLOW foods are important sources of vitamins and minerals to sustain our energy and keep us from getting sick.

3. Overconsumption of protein: Typical Filipino “SILOG” meals include double serving of proteins. Eating different kinds of protein is fine for as long as they are taken in moderation. We must also avoid protein dishes served in high fat, cholesterol, and sodium.

PINGGANG PINOY: BREAKING FREE FROM THE #MALNUTRITION TRAPS?

As stated above, the Pinggang Pinoy is a guide for mothers and other caregivers of children to an easy-to-make recipes. These recipes address the required nutrients for school aged children and even adults. This will help solve the double burdens of malnutrition minus the stress.

I say minus the stress because for a non-cook like me, I easily get stressed of what to cook or make Enzo eat. With this recipes I can now just relax and follow the menu. What is even more amazing is that the budget for the entire family to only Php200-P250! Yey! I love how they have really researched on it and made it accessible to all Filipino families.

A healthy plate consists of Fruits, Vegetable, Rice, and Fish. They even have a specific menu for the entire day, breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It really is just amazing. You can download the Pinggang Pinoy recipes here. This all just made my job to help Enzo gain weight super duper easy.

For more information: Like https://www.facebook.com/CookmunitybyAjinomotoPH

Will try this for two weeks, and I’ll update you on our progress. Have you heard of Pinggang Pinoy? Share your thoughts with me on the comment section below.

Please follow and like us:
error
Tags: , , , ,

32 thoughts on “Do you fall into the #Malnutrition Traps?”

1. Jasmin Binarao says:

I just watched the video awhile ago. I’m afraid my kids might me malnourished as well. They are both slim and we rarely eat veggies specially fruits.
    Next time il plan a menu ahead of time na healthy and stick to it.

1. jhoanna says:

That’s true sis, sometimes we’re not conscious that they are already malnourished. I agree too that meal planning is a real necessity to help our kids get the right nutrition:)

2. brie says:

I didn’t even know about something like this until right now. Thanks for sharing the information on it, very insightful.

3. Ritu Sharma says:

Nope I haven’t herd of Pinggang Pinoy, But nice to know about them through your post.

4. Blair says:

It’s good to see that steps are being taken to improve education on nutrition. In busy schedules it can be easy to get away from a balance meal.

5. Emmeline says:

I think the most important thing is to make sure to add veggies and fruit to everything- that way you will be fine no matter what the rest of your diet is. More difficult with picky children though…

6. Azirtak says:

I don’t think this problem just rests in the Philippines, in fact I still see it here in America. Mixture of malnutrition and overweight in the more poverish parts of America, I’m in one of them. I am glad to see that there is an initiative to curb this problem in the Philippines! I’m filipino american and my kids are definitely on the leaner side and they are always below the curve (but in the normal range) when we visit our pediatrician. Most often my kids (being half filipino) are compared to other kids in our area and they are typically smaller and often fall below the 50%… (even 10 percentile!) It actually use to bother me that my kids weren’t at the 50th percentile (in line with the rest of society) but my kids are still healthy, still active, still hitting milestones perfect. I’m glad you’re taking the time to get your family the needed nutrition they need in order to grow <3

7. Tammie says:

Meal planning is a huge responsibility. It can be hard to get the right nutrients in every meal.

8. Oh wow – This is a very interesting read! I don’t have children but it’s still interesting to learn this information!

9. overconsumption of carbs and underconsumption of fruits and veggies. Thats my normal diet. Im not getting any younger and i should start living a healthy life. thanks for reminding each and everyone of us!

10. Wow! Good tips I would suggest to my wife to do it …great share sista!

11. Nice article, thanks for sharing

12. i can definitely see how this could happen while trying to compensate.

13. arun says:

That’s true. Even sometimes we adult fell in this trap. And kids are more prone to. As most of them maybe picky eaters. So we need to be conscious while making food choices.

14. Lieze Neven says:

These are some great tips! Thank you so much for writing about these!

15. Nina Cochingco says:

This is such a great awareness of nutrition, we didn’t know that some of our kids are malnourish.

16. Scary thing to think about… Going to go back through what my kids have been eating just to make sure they’re okay!

17. Lyosha says:

very important statements and definitely good coverage. It sure goes to many moments, it easy to confuse careful nutrition with common mistakes.

18. Lydia Smith says:

Having a good nutrition takes a lot of work and knowing how to input them in our daily food it the key. Right proportion goes a long way.

19. Jasmine M says:

Honestly, I feel like a lot of people are malnourished. A lot of things are processed and a lot of us are focused on easy quick meals to make that are a lot of the times not healthy. It’s very important to notice these malnutrition traps and to take action. I know I personally need to start eating more fruits and vegetables.

20. Thank you for sharing this with us. I did a learn alot about malnutrition. I’ll know what to look out for now.

21. Alexandra Cook says:

This sounds like an amazing campaign. A mother should really participate in this for their kids.

22. Clare Minall says:

Malnutrition is a common problem for some Countries. Glad that there people raising a campaign to help our children save from malnutrition.

23. Preet says:

I am more concerned with what my kids’ eating. Yes, I agree we are not aware of our kids are malnourished or not. That’s why I always make sure that they have a proper and balanced diet.

24. Samar says:

Today’s generation is having a huge problem with Underconsumption of vegetables and fruits.

Very rightly said.

25. Nina Cochingco says:

26. Nina Cochingco says:

2.This program is so helpful, most people care less about their balance nutritional consumption. We all should have balanced diet everyday to avoid certain ailments.

1. jhoanna says:

I agree. I learned so much just by reading into it. So I really plan on also trying it out on our meals.

27. Underconsumption of veggies and fruits,thats one problem i encountered to my 2nd son,he doesn’t want to eat veggies and even fruits,that is my problem to him,he only wants meat and chicken. I just make him to take multivitamin but i know its not enough. Thats why I’ll do alternative food for him,instead of making lumpia out of meat ill do it fish lumpia w/ veggies as additional ingredient and he loves it.

28. Jasmin Binarao says:

Sadly we fall on Malnutrition Traps no. 2
    “Underconsumption of vegetables and fruits”

We’re all picky eaters.. We don’t have fruits everyday and we eat veggies rarely. 🙁
    I’m not a good cook too so its hard to cook different kinds of veggies that kids will love

29. Monjj seliva says:

Ngayon ko Lang po nalaman yan salamat sa information Malaking tulong po talaga.

30. Veronica Paraiso says:

That’s true , kahit nga tayong may mga edad na nahuhulog pa din sa ganitong Malnutrition . Paano pa kaya yung mga mas nakakabata pa sa atin , karamihan pa naman sa mga bata ngayon ay magpagkapihikan pagdating sa pagkain.Kaya ako bilang isang ina sinisiguro ko na nakukuha niya yung tamang nutrition na kailangan niya. Sa ganitong paraan nagiging mas observant tayo sa ating mga anak.